Skippack Historical Society

"Skippack Volunteer Fire Company 75th Anniversary" booklet, August 10, 1974
History of the Skippack Fire Company

Skippack Fire Company

Valley House Hotel (now called Justin's) as it looks today (2003) In June and July of 1899, three public meetings were held in the hall of Valley House Hotel (pictured above) on the topic of fire protection for Skippackville. The meetings took place just before there was a fire on a nearby house.

A committee was formed to research the starting of a fire company. Its formation progressed faster after a fire in a hay rack of A.H. Seipt's barn, behind his house at Collegeville Rd. & Skippack Pike. A.H. Seipt was also the village liquor vendor. H.K. Tyson lead the bucket brigade that saved the barn from destruction.

Skippack Fire Co. minutes from 1899

Above are the minutes from the first meeting of the fire company in 1899.

The fire company was then formed in August of 1899. The officers were elected on September 12, 1899 with Dr. J. Newton Hunsberger as president. A.W. Rosenberry was the secretary. The first trustees were B.W. Dambly, Henry T. Bean, and John Cole.

The engineer was Daniel Tyson. William Fox and Harry Dambly were first and second assistants. The nozzlemen were John Cole, Harry Tyson, and Charles Cassel, headed by N.W. Gerhart.

Orignial Firehouse at the corner of Mensch Road & Skippack Pike The 2 story, frame firehouse was constructed on January 28, 1900. It was located at the SE corner of Skippack Pike and Mensch Rd. A large steel rim was used as the fire alarm, it made a loud sound when struck. The newly formed company purchased a Racine chemical engine for $500.00.

The firemen sponsored a lecture to help reduce the debt on the building. B.W. Dambly arranged for General W.W.H. Davis of Doylestown as lecturer. In April 1900, he spoke in the Valley House hall. Admission charged was 25 cents.

The Skippack Firehouse built in 1923 on the corner of Mensch Road and Skippack Pike (route 73) as it looked in 1924.

The Skippack Firehouse as it looks today (2003).

In 1923, a newer, masonry firehouse was constructed at this site, which is yet standing and used as commercial space. This newer building has a basement were fundraisers and parties were held for many years until the new, current firehouse was constructed in 1968, along Rt. 113 south of Rt. 73.

Here is also located a memorial to the members of the community who fought in the "Global War".

Researched by Bradley S. DeForest

This web site was designed and donated by Lederach Associates Architect + Engineers.